INFORMS Initiatives: Edelman Award, IAAA, Wagner Prize, pro bono and more
INFORMS announces 2017 Edelman Award finalists
INFORMS announced six finalists for the 46th annual Franz Edelman Award for Achievements in Operations Research and the Management Sciences, the world’s most prestigious award for achievement in the practice of analytics and O.R. The 2017 Edelman Award will be presented at the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research in Las Vegas on April 2-4.
The finalists for the 2017 Edelman Award include: the American Red Cross, Barco (a global technology company that manufactures products for the entertainment, healthcare and enterprise markets), BHP Billiton (one of the world’s largest producers of major commodities including iron ore, coal and other metals and minerals), General Electric, Holiday Retirement (the largest private owner and operator of independent senior living communities in the United States) and the New York City Department of Transportation.
For more, see page 62.
Analytics Society announces finalists for 2017 IAAA honors
The Analytics Society of INFORMS announced three finalists for the 2017 Innovative Applications of Analytics Award (IAAA) sponsored by Caterpillar and the Society. Scott Grasman of Rochester Institute of Technology chaired the judging committee. The finalists will present their projects at the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Analytics & Operations Research in Las Vegas in April. The finalists include:
- “Audience Targeting Solutions Powered by Advanced Analytics,” Turner Broadcasting System, Inc.
- “Combining Multi-Criteria Analysis with Interactive Visualization and Real Time Sensitivity Simulations to Support the Regeneration Process of Disused Railways,” London School of Economics and Political Science
- “Assurance of Supply Center – Excellence through Supply Network Optimization,” Caterpillar
The flagship competition of the Analytics Society, the award recognizes the creative and unique application of a combination of analytical techniques in a new area. The award promotes the awareness and value of the creative combination of analytics techniques in unusual applications to provide insights and business value.
Essential practice skills workshop set for Seattle in April
The INFORMS Continuing Education program will be back on the road in 2017, with the first stop in Seattle on April 5-6 when Patrick Noonan will conduct a two-day “Essential Practice Skills for High-Impact Analytics Projects” workshop at Seattle Pacific University. Attendees will learn practical frameworks and systematic processes for addressing complex, real-world problems and how to facilitate effective action.
To learn more about the workshop and to register, click here.
Applications for 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize now open
Applications for the 2017 Daniel H. Wagner Prize for Excellence in Operations Research Practice are now open. A two-page abstract in English that provides evidence of mathematical development, solution, unique new algorithm or series of coherent advances developed in conjunction with an application is due by May 1.
To learn more, click here.
Pro Bono Analytics program accepting volunteers
Make a difference in underserved communities by volunteering your time and talents to the INFORMS Pro Bono Analytics program. The program gives non-profit organizations the opportunity to work with analytics professionals on a volunteer basis to help solve challenges and create new opportunities for success with the scientific process of transforming data into insight.
The initiative matches INFORMS’ analytics professional volunteers with non-profit organizations that would benefit from advanced analytics and operations research training and techniques. By focusing on current analytics issues as they relate to non-profit organizations, the Pro Bono Analytics team will be able to take the necessary steps in assisting to solve the most complex of issues.
Volunteer opportunities are constantly being added. To learn more, click here.
- 77The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research will take place in Las Vegas on April 2-4 at Caesars Palace.
- 76The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research will take place in Las Vegas on April 2-4 at Caesars Palace. Analytics 2017 will bring together nearly a thousand leading analytics professionals and industry experts to share ideas, network and learn through real-life examples of data-based analytical decisions.
- 73Following is an interview with Maher Lahmar, solution executive, Watson Customer Engagement at IBM, and chair of the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research.
- 70The program for the 2016 INFORMS Annual Meeting in Nashville, Tenn., on Nov. 13-16 features a variety of content targeting topics of interest to analytics practitioners. In addition to the presentation of the Daniel H. Wagner Prize, which recognizes excellence in analytics practice, a selection of plenary and keynote speakers…
- 70The Analytics Society announced three finalists for the 2017 Innovative Applications of Analytics Award (IAAA) sponsored by Caterpillar and the Society. Scott Grasman of Rochester Institute of Technology chaired the judging committee. The finalists will present their projects at the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Analytics & O.R. in Las Vegas…