INFORMS Initiatives: Analytics programs, new logo, aCap, submissions & more
Meeting of Analytics Program Directors
The inaugural Meeting of Analytics Program Directors (MAPD) will be held on April 1 at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas, the day before the start of the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research in the same locale.
Sponsored by INFORMS, the goal of MAPD is to provide bachelor’s, master’s and Ph.D.-level program directors of new, established or soon-to-be-launched analytics programs a unique opportunity to:
- discuss industry best practices;
- share common opportunities and challenges;
- learn about current trends;
- enhance engagement with industry and practice professionals; and
- hear from panelists on student recruitment, curriculum, capstone courses and job placement.
The all-day event is free of charge; registration and other details will be available in early January. For more information, contact Bill Griffin, manager, INFORMS Continuing Education Program (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Student Analytical Scholar Case Study Competition
INFORMS will once again offer the SAS/INFORMS Analytics Section Student Analytical Scholar Competition, a scholarship program that will send the winning recipient to the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research. Supported by SAS and sponsored by the Analytics Society of INFORMS, the competitive program will recognize one outstanding student who would like to learn more about the practice of analytics at the conference in Las Vegas on April 2-4. The scholarship covers the cost of attending the event and additional networking opportunities.
The purpose of the competition is to practice the process of structuring and presenting a compelling proposal for analytical work. Applicants will be asked to produce a “Statement of Work” (SOW) for a case study based on a real-life project. Such documents are usually created early in a project, after some exploratory work, but may or may not fully define the problem.
SAS will provide a case study. A discussion forum will be available Jan. 30-Feb. 10 for applicants, who are encouraged to ask questions and explore the problem definition in order to put together a viable, professional SOW. The winner will be selected based on the cohesion, proper use of assumptions and demonstrated technical and presentation skills in the SOW, as well as the practicality of the proposed approach to solve the business problem.
The deadline to apply is Feb. 13. For more information, visit: informs.org/SAS-AnalyticsScholarCompetition.
INFORMS unveils new logo
During the recent 2016 INFORMS Annual Meeting, Vice President of Marketing and Outreach Laura Albert McLay unveiled a new logo that will officially begin to be used with the launch of the new INFORMS website in the spring of 2017.
McLay also previewed the new IOL (INFORMS Online), which is expected to go live prior to the 2017 Conference on Business Analytics and Operations Research in April.
INFORMS launches aCAP certification
Since its inception in 2013, the Certified Analytics Professional (CAP®) program has enabled hundreds of organizations across 20 different countries (including 20 percent of the Fortune 100) to meet those challenges through its rigorous process of certifying top experienced analytics professionals. Now, the CAP program is helping organizations expand that ability to tap early career professionals with the launch of its new Associate Certified Analytics Professional (aCAP) program.
The aCAP provides a trusted and independent verification of analytics knowledge of someone who is in the early stages of their career, allowing hiring managers to more easily identify the best possible analytics talent that will continue to grow and contribute to their organization. Likewise, aCAP provides emerging analytics professionals with a competitive advantage over their peers with the distinction of a certification, while affording them the opportunity to build the experience and soft skills necessary for a full CAP certification.
Both the CAP and the aCAP programs are managed by INFORMS. For more information, visit https://www.certified analytics.org/.
2017 INFORMS analytics conference accepting submissions
The deadline for submitting proposal presentations for the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research is Jan. 15. The conference will be held April 2-4 in Las Vegas. Speakers selected through the approval process will receive a discount off regular registration rates.
The Conference Selection Committee welcomes proposals in all areas and all topics within the business analytics and O.R. arena. Both presentation content and speaking expertise will be considered in selection, with priority given to real-world business topics and high-quality academic work geared to real situations.
For more information, visit: http://meetings2.informs.org/wordpress/analytics2017/abstracts-submissions/.
- 72What are your biggest challenges as the director of an university analytics program? Chances are you’re not alone, and many of your fellow program directors share the same challenges and more. Analytics program directors from across the country will gather in Las Vegas on April 1 for the inaugural Meeting…
- 68The Analytics Society of INFORMS sponsors the following awards: the Innovative Applications in Analytics Award, the Student Analytical Scholar Case Study Competition and the Syngenta Crop Challenge.
- 68Make a difference in underserved communities by volunteering your time and talents to the INFORMS Pro Bono Analytics program. Volunteer opportunities are constantly being added.
- 67FEATURES Fulfilling the promise of analytics By Chris Mazzei Strategy, leadership and consumption: The keys to getting the most from big data and analytics focus on the human element. How to get the most out of data lakes By Sean Martin A handful of requisite business skills that facilitate self-service…