Analytics Section salutes award winners
The Analytics Section of INFORMS hosted a recognition breakfast for those who won awards and competitions sponsored by the Section at the recent INFORMS Business Analytics & Operations Research Conference in Huntington Beach, Calif.
The honorees included:
• The Mayo Clinic for winning the Innovative Applications in Analytics Award for their work on intelligent surgical scheduling. The award recognizes creative and unique applications of a combination of analytic techniques in a new area. Teams from American Airlines and the MIT Operations Research Center, along with Rue La La, were finalists.
• Jodie Lam, who is pursuing a master’s degree in management in operations research at the University of British Columbia, for winning the 2015 Student Analytical Scholar Competition, which aims to provide a positive learning experience for students by developing a statement of work for an analytics project and is supported by SAS. Lam’s application earned her free registration, lodging and travel to the conference, as well as participation in the Professional Colloquium held on Sunday at the conference.
Qinlu (Louisa) Chen, from the same program at the University of British Columbia and also president of the school’s INFORMS Student Chapter, received honorable mention. Both presented posters of their work at the conference.
• Lianna Gerrish of Advanced Energy Industries for winning the Spreadsheet Guru competition, a test of head-to-head spreadsheet skills in data analysis and presentation. Gerrish solved the final problem statement in 13 minutes. In second place, at 21 minutes, was Jason Acimovic, a professor at Pennsylvania State University’s Smeal School of Business.
INFORMS President L. Robin Keller, INFORMS VP of Practice Jonathan Owen and INFORMS Past President Anne Robinson were among the breakfast attendees.
- 83The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research will take place in Las Vegas on April 2-4 at Caesars Palace. Analytics 2017 will bring together nearly a thousand leading analytics professionals and industry experts to share ideas, network and learn through real-life examples of data-based analytical decisions.
- 72The Analytics Society of INFORMS sponsors the following awards: the Innovative Applications in Analytics Award, the Student Analytical Scholar Case Study Competition and the Syngenta Crop Challenge.
- 70The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & O.R. in Las Vegas this spring will feature a special day-long event for a select group of practice-oriented analytics and operations research graduate students. The INFORMS Professional Colloquium (IPC), scheduled for April 2, will provide students nominated by their departments and competitively…