Analytics at the 2016 INFORMS Annual Meeting
It’s an exciting time to be in INFORMS, and Nashville, Tenn., site of the 2016 INFORMS Annual Meeting on Nov. 13-16, is going to be a great time to learn about the state of the art in our rapidly changing profession, connect with colleagues and meet new ones. If you search under “Analytics” in the conference program, you will find more than 200 individual presentations.
While we recommend that you use the excellent INFORMS applications to build your own tailored program, here are a few that we think are particularly noteworthy for Analytics Society members:
Sunday, Nov. 13: SD14 – “Big Data Analytics and E-commerce,” featuring talks about nonparametric tests for online experiments and tailored base-surge inventory policies. Both of these are applied to Walmart.
Monday, Nov. 14: MB-14 – “Data Analytics” focused on different applications of the growing and changing data, and how professionals best use it; and MC-14 – “Emerging Applications of Optimization in Industry,” chaired by Juan Ma of Turner Broadcasting System.
Tuesday, Nov. 15: TD14 – “Predictive Analytics – Big Data with a Purpose,” including talks on volatility-based metrics, security and multi-directional prediction problems, smart strategies for matching big data and predicting return abuse with data analytics.
Wednesday, Nov. 16: WC14 – “Transportation and Disaster Analytics,” which will cover topics such as social networks during Hurricane Sandy, taxi demand forecasting using spatio-temporal correlations, and traffic state estimates using license plate recognition.
In addition to these (and many other sessions), the following two are “must see” (both on Sunday): SB 06: “What Industry Wants Analytics Graduates to Know,” a panel discussion led by Thomas Tiahrt of the University of South Dakota that promises to be interesting, particularly to our younger members; and SC 14: “The Syngenta Crop Challenge in Analytics.” For more on the crop challenge session, click here.
Finally, don’t miss the Analytics Society business meeting at 6:15 p.m. on Monday (MCC – 104D, level 1).
Looking forward to seeing everyone in Nashville!
- 87What are your biggest challenges as the director of an university analytics program? Chances are you’re not alone, and many of your fellow program directors share the same challenges and more. Analytics program directors from across the country will gather in Las Vegas on April 1 for the inaugural Meeting…
- 86The CUNY School of Professional Studies is offering a new online master of science degree in data analytics. The program prepares its graduates for high-demand and fast-growing careers as data analysts, data specialists, business intelligence analysts, information analysts and data engineers in such fields as business, operations, marketing, social media,…
- 84Make a difference in underserved communities by volunteering your time and talents to the INFORMS Pro Bono Analytics program. Volunteer opportunities are constantly being added.
- 84January/February 2017 The CIA’s new transparency Driving smarter decisions on pricing, promotion Industrie 4.0: Analytics everywhere Analytics @ Google IoT unleashes endless business opportunities BPM empowering IoT business users Ada Lovelace: ‘poetical scientist’ November/December 2016 Putin vs. Western analysts Making analytics work through practical project management Crowdsourcing – Using the…
- 83Benjamin Franklin offered this sage advice in the 18th century, but he left one key question unanswered: How? How do you successfully drive a business? More specifically, how do you develop the business strategy drivers that incite a business to grow and thrive? The 21st-century solution has proven to be…