Air Force Academy’s O.R. program saluted
The U.S. Air Force Academy won the 2017 UPS George D. Smith Prize for its operations research (O.R.) program, which prepares graduates to become frontline O.R. practitioners as analysts in the Air Force. The program exposes more than 50 percent of cadets to at least one O.R. course and provides cadets the opportunity to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in O.R. A year-long applied senior capstone serves as the apex of the program, during which teams of cadets consult for military, corporate, local government and nonprofit organizations to address real-world problems.
Organizations that have teamed with the USAF program in the past include DARPA, the Missile Defense Agency, Lockheed Martin, Walmart and the Healing Warriors Program.
Named in honor of the late UPS Chief Executive Officer – a champion of operations researchers at a leading Fortune 500 corporation – the UPS George D. Smith Prize is created in the spirit of strengthening ties between industry and the schools of higher education that graduate young practitioners of operations research. The prize is awarded to an academic department or program for effective and innovative preparation of students to be good practitioners of operations research or analytics.
“By teaming with a variety of organizations to provide its students access to real-world data and problem-solving opportunities, the Air Force Academy stands out among other academic institutions in its dedication to preparing graduates for success,” said Melissa Moore, executive director of INFORMS. “As the demand for O.R. and analytics professionals continues to rise, it is more important than ever for young professionals to stand out as the top talent. The Air Force Academy’s program makes sure they do.”
The award was presented at the 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research.
For more information about the UPS George D. Smith Prize, click here.
- 70The U.S. Air Force and The Walt Disney Company both received the 2017 INFORMS Prize for their pioneering and enduring integration of operations research (O.R.) and analytics programs into their organizations. The prizes were presented at the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research in April in Las Vegas.
- 52The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research will take place in Las Vegas on April 2-4 at Caesars Palace. Analytics 2017 will bring together nearly a thousand leading analytics professionals and industry experts to share ideas, network and learn through real-life examples of data-based analytical decisions.
- 50The 2017 INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & O.R. in Las Vegas this spring will feature a special day-long event for a select group of practice-oriented analytics and operations research graduate students. The INFORMS Professional Colloquium (IPC), scheduled for April 2, will provide students nominated by their departments and competitively…
- 47All over the world, healthcare organizations are being challenged by obstacles related to the aging of the population and other global trends. It is vital that the complex and growing demands in healthcare delivery are tackled swiftly and optimally. With the abundance of data available, operations researchers across the globe…
- 47The deadline to apply for 2017 INFORMS Prize is Dec. 1, 2016. The INFORMS Prize is awarded for effective integration of advanced analytics and operations research/management sciences (OR/MS) in an organization.