2017 Syngenta Crop Challenge in Analytics offers $5,000 prize
Put your analytics skills to the test and win $5,000 in the 2017 “Syngenta Crop Challenge in Analytics” administered by INFORMS and sponsored by the Analytics Society of INFORMS.
As the world population increases and arable land decreases, it becomes vital to improve the productivity of the agricultural land available. Companies such as Syngenta strive to provide varieties of their crops to meet this need.
Every year farmers have to make decisions about which soybean seeds to plant given information about different soybean varieties and knowledge about the soil and climate at their respective farms. These annual decisions are critical; after a variety is planted, the decision is irreversible. Unusual weather patterns can have disastrous impacts on crops.
A highly desirable variety may be in short supply and unavailable for farmers. To ensure there is enough seed of the desired varieties for farmers, it is critical to evaluate which variety or varieties are more likely to be chosen by farmers from a growing region.
Using the provided variety, growing region and exogenous data sets, Crop Challenge participants are challenged to predict which soybean seed variety or mix of up to five varieties in appropriate proportions is more likely to be chosen by farmers from a growing region.
Timeline: Data for the challenge will be available no later than Sept. 1, 2016. The deadline for submissions is Jan. 16, 2017. Finalists will be announced Feb. 24, 2017. Finalist presentation will be held at the INFORMS Conference on Business Analytics & Operations Research, April 2-4, 2017, in Las Vegas.
For more information, click here.
- 67Eight student teams from around the world have been selected as finalists in the inaugural INFORMS O.R. and Analytics Student Team Competition. INFORMS, the leading international association for professionals in operations research and analytics, introduced this new competition to highlight young talent and provide O.R. and analytics students the opportunity…
- 60CAP designation demonstrates value in job market The Certified Analytics Professional (CAP®) designation is becoming more valuable as a tool to distinguish the knowledgeable analytics professional. Employers are recognizing this, as evidenced by numerous tracking metrics that indicate more and more companies are listing CAP as a qualification in their…
- 56Benjamin Franklin offered this sage advice in the 18th century, but he left one key question unanswered: How? How do you successfully drive a business? More specifically, how do you develop the business strategy drivers that incite a business to grow and thrive? The 21st-century solution has proven to be…
- 56The Analytics Society of INFORMS sponsors the following awards: the Innovative Applications in Analytics Award, the Student Analytical Scholar Case Study Competition and the Syngenta Crop Challenge.
- 56The CUNY School of Professional Studies is offering a new online master of science degree in data analytics. The program prepares its graduates for high-demand and fast-growing careers as data analysts, data specialists, business intelligence analysts, information analysts and data engineers in such fields as business, operations, marketing, social media,…